Cake baking is one of the most difficult and intimidating cooking skills out there. It’s so rewarding, but it can also be so frustrating if you mess up. With this article, you’ll get a crash course on how to make the perfect slice of cake every time. From choosing your recipe to instructions on how to decorate your finished product, we’ve got everything you need to know about baking a cake. Cake-baking 101, right? Let’s take it from here…
What Exactly Is Cake Baking?
Cake baking is the process of baking a cake into a layer, or tiers, of baked goods, typically a cake, doughnut, or brownie. Most often, cakes will be made using a mix of ingredients, with the majority of the batter coming from one or two ingredients, for example - Flour, Sugar, Milk, etc. Cake baking can be both complicated and rewarding.
HOW TO BAKE A BASIC CAKE
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Cream together butter and icing sugar.
3. Crack the eggs into the butter mixture and mix.
3. Add vanilla essence.
4. Add the maida, salt, baking powder, and baking soda into a bowl.
5. Gradually add the dry mix into the butter mixture and gently fold in with a spatula.
6. Pour it into a greased cake pan.
7. Flatten the surface and place in a preheated oven at 180°C for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
8. Remove and let cool before removing from the mould and placing it on a wire rack to cool completely.
Serve & Enjoy!!
SOME TIPS & TRICKS WHICH WILL HELP YOU WHILE BAKING A CAKE
1) Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature before you start.
2) If you are using a ready-made cake mix, follow the instructions on the packet and ensure that it is fully mixed before adding any other ingredients.
3) Preheat your oven to the required temperature and prepare your cake tin accordingly (grease and line with baking paper, or use a non-stick tin).
4) Ensure that all of your ingredients are in one bowl - this will help avoid any confusion or mistakes when mixing.
5) Be careful not to overmix your cake batter - this can lead to tough cakes
SOME COMMON PROBLEMS FACED WHILE BAKING A CAKE
1. Why is my cake sunk in the middle?
There can be many reasons behind your cake being sunk from the middle. Some of them are -
The oven door opens too wide or slammed, too much leavening added, oven temperature too high or even too low, or undercooked.
2. My cake seems to be wet from the bottom
This could happen if too much liquid is added to the batter for example milk
3. Even after following all the steps my cake did not rise, why?
The most common reason behind cake not rising is either not adding fewer leavening agents or not adding it all or using an expired baking powder, low oven temperature, or cake batter not mixed properly.
4. Why is my cake cracked from the top?
The reason why cake can be cracked from the top is because of adding too many leavening agents or too much heat in the oven
5. Why do I see holes in my cake?
This could happen if you mix the cake batter for too long or at a high speed
Some people might say that it is too time-consuming to make a cake. But with the right tools and ingredients, making a cake will be easier than ever.