If you’ve never had a cakesicle, you’re missing out. These cake-on-a-stick treats are easy to make at home with just a few ingredients. In this blog post, we’ll share our favorite recipes, tips, and techniques for making perfect cakesicles every time.
What Are Cakesicles?
Cakesicles are a type of cake that is made by freezing cake batter or leftover cake bits on a popsicle stick. They are often coated in chocolate or icing and can be decorated with sprinkles, fruit, or other toppings. Making cakesicles at home is a fun and easy way to enjoy a delicious treat without having to go to a bakery. All you need is a cake mix (or some leftover cake), some popsicle sticks, and a little bit of creativity.
Red Velvet Cakesicles
For The Red Velvet Cake:
|1 ¼ cups
|Red Gel Food Coloring
For The Cream Cheese Frosting:
|Room-temperature cream cheese
|Butter at room temperature
For The Valentines Cakesicles
|Candy melts or chocolate sprinkles
Make The Red Velvet Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C and line a tray with baking paper
2. Lightly whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla until combined
3. 1 egg, ½ cup buttermilk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ¾ cup vegetable oil
4. Add sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and salt and mix for about a minute
5. 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup white sugar, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon salt
6. Add red food coloring and mix until the batter is desired shade of red
7. ½ teaspoon Red Gel Food Coloring
8. In a small bowl, pour the white wine vinegar over the baking soda, mix it together quickly, then pour it into the batter. Mix the batter together
9. 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
10. Pour into a sheet pan and bake 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
Make The Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth
2. ½ cup cream cheese, ⅓ cup butter
3. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix slowly until powdered sugar is incorporated
4. 4 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5. Turn mixer to high and beat until fluffy, 2-3 minutes
1. Rub the cooled cake between your fingers until crumbled
2. Add glaze and squeeze with your hands to combine everything. You want about ½ cup of frosting for every 3 cups of cake crumbs.
3. Add more frosting if you want to get the perfect texture. You’ll know it’s right when you can easily roll the mixture into a ball and it keeps its shape.
4. Melt candy melts or temper chocolate and pour into cakesicle mold. Squeeze the chocolate/candy melt up the side of the mold to make sure it’s completely covered
Melt the Chocolate
1. Tip mold upside down over the bowl to remove excess mold
2. Place popsicle sticks in the mold and put them in the fridge for a few minutes to harden
3. Once set, remove from the fridge and gently press cakesicle mixture into the mold. Be sure to gently slide something under the popsicle stick so the entire cavity is filled.
4. Be careful not to overfill, no cakesicle mixture should protrude past the top of the mold. Try to leave about 1-2mm clearance at the top
5. Check chocolate/candy melt and reheat if necessary. Pour a thin layer over the back of the cakesicles to seal them. Slide a palette knife across the shape to smooth out the back and remove excess material. Put in the fridge for 10 minutes
6. Carefully unmold the cakesicles and decorate with leftover candymelts/chocolate, sprinkles, glitter or whatever you have lying around!
Interesting Facts About Cakesicles
Cakesicles are made by combining cake and frosting together and then rolling them into balls. You can then insert sticks into the balls, and freeze them for a few hours. Once they are frozen, you can then dip them in melted chocolate, and decorate them however you like! Cakesicles are a fun and unique treat that are sure to impress your guests!
Here are a few interesting facts about them:
• Cakesicles were invented by Charm City Cakes, a cake shop in Baltimore, Maryland. The original cakesicle was made with chocolate cake and vanilla buttercream frosting.
• Cakesicles have been featured on the TV show “Cake Boss”, and in the movie “The Boss Baby”.
If you want to make your own cakesicles at home, all you need is cake and frosting! You can use any kind of cake and frosting combination that you like.
Things To Avoid
When it comes to making cakesicles at home, there are a few things you should avoid if you want your treats to turn out perfectly delicious every time. Here are the top three things to steer clear of when making your own cakesicles:
1. Overmixing the batter. Be careful not to overmix the batter when making your cakesicles. Overmixing can result in a tough, rubbery texture.
2. Not using enough cake pop sticks. Make sure to use enough cake pop sticks so that each cakesicle is securely attached and won’t fall off when you take a bite.
3. Not allowing the cakesicles to cool completely before dipping them in chocolate. If you dip them while they’re still warm, the chocolate will melt and you won’t get that nice, smooth coating.
Follow these simple tips and you’ll be on your way to making perfect cakesicles every time!